Sunday, May 31, 2026

Recovery from Rotator Surgery

 

Image from Creative Commons /
Wikimedia 

I am not lifting heavy items anymore because of my injured rotator cuff (right shoulder). 

I have done rehab and recovered about 85% of of the function of that shoulder. I don't need to be carrying huge boxes of books for the library anymore. I can break down loads to smaller bags.  I really do not have the time to do a year-long recovery when I have achieved a lot of function through rehab. 

People keep encouraging me to have surgery, but I am resisting for three reasons:

1. As with any surgery, there are risks of complications.

My paternal grandfather died in surgery in his 30s because he got a blood clot. This was in the 1950s, and I am not sure if it went to his heart, brain, or lungs. But it left my grandmother a young widow with three young boys

2. I do not want to risk acquiring a dependency on pain medication.

I have seen too many individuals and then their families devastated because of addiction to pain meds post-surgery.

3. The recovery time can take up to a year. 

A recovery of 12 months is more probable for older adults: 

  • They tend to have more co-morbidities such as Type 2 Diabetes.
  • The quality of their tendons tend to be lower.
  • The size of their tears tend to be more severe. 
  • They tend to have decreased blood circulation. 
  • They may struggle to complete the prescribed rehab exercises.

I have a few friends who have had this surgery, and they are surprised by how long the recovery is taking them.  

I have read through a handful of webpages posted by orthopedic surgeons, and they break down the recovery by weeks and then months.   




I understand the choice of surgery for those who cannot regain function through rehabilitation.  I may end up needing surgery for one thing or another before my time on earth is up.  In the mean time, I will keep doing my rehab exercises. 

Related:


No comments:

Post a Comment