Tuesday, April 4, 2023

A Boomer Named Karen

 

Photo by Oregon Dept of Transportation
via Creative Commons

Given the recent use of the name "Karen," I have taken to introducing myself as "Karen. . . but not THAT Karen." 

I am not describing myself as a victim for having this name. Instead, I take this cultural phenomenon as an opportunity to acknowledge the privilege that I have in my life as a white Boomer with a college education who enjoys relatively good health. 

I grew up in a middle class home. I enjoyed extra curricular activities, travel, access to a car, an allowance, and a college education. There are a lot of people who have not enjoyed these advantages.

I could complain about the derogatory use of "Karen" that appears in social media these days. However, there are thousands of people who have been called worse for decades, centuries. And many people have lost opportunities for jobs, education, and housing because of their demographics. Some have lost their lives. It seems disingenuous for me to complain that people are identifying the advantages that I have enjoyed. 

Instead of complaining about any loss of status or respect, I see this moment in time as an opportunity to listen to other people talk about their experiences, to give them space to share their perspectives, their ideas. 

I do not need to make myself the center of attention. 

I have a lot to learn about the lives of other people who come from different countries, cultures, religions, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientation, immigrations status, and physical / intellectual abilities. 

Now is the time for me to refrain from asserting and demanding; this is the time to observe and learn.

Related:

LGBT Older Adults

Global Aging

Films about Aging in Japan and Other Asian Countries

No comments:

Post a Comment