Monday, June 26, 2023

Posture Mantra: Tall, Proud, Ballerina-Turtle Book

Photo by Scillystuff 
via Creative Commons

I have met many people with issues created by having an incorrect posture for years, even decades. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  A very small adjustment to the position of your head, neck, shoulders, arms, back, hips, knees, or feet can prevent future pain and even prevent the need for surgery.

This post strives only to raise awareness about issues with posture. If you have questions about any problems with posture—from head to toe—please see a licensed medical professional—particularly orthopedic surgeons who can diagnose and then refer to a physical therapist.

I met a retired elementary school teacher in my Tai Chi class years ago in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. She talked about how she spent 30 years standing in a way where she locked her knees. She was learning Tai Chi as a way to address problems from her back all the way down to her feet—all caused by improper posture.

Since 2004, I have been practicing yoga, but it wasn’t until I started seeing a series of licensed physical therapists that I received detailed, customized instruction on how to further improve my posture.  

Here is a mantra that I have developed, based on advice from three different physical therapists over the last eight years as well as some advice from a handful of yoga instructors over the last twenty years.

I try to recite this to myself at least once every hour to help me adjust my posture, primarily for my upper body:

“Tall, proud, ballerina-turtle book.”

Do I imagine that I am some bizarre oversized book that is shaped like a turtle in a tutu? 

Let me explain what I do with each word. And, yes, there is repetition with standing tall, pushing my shoulder blades together, and tucking my chin.  I need the repetition to double check my posture. 

Tall: Elongate my spine.

Proud: Roll my shoulder blades back and down.

Ballerina: Slide my head and neck up and back.

Turtle: Tuck my chin.

Book: Push my biceps back.

Try A Video!

Here is an instructive video. I haven’t talked about core, thighs, knees, or feet position. My two decades of yoga have helped me with that, so I did not include those reminders in my mantra. You might need to adjust your posture in your lower body and/or your upper body. My challenge comes from the top third of my body, so this mantra focuses there.

 


Initially, I just recited "tall, proud, ballerina, turtle" to myself. However, After a little “fine tuning” by my physical therapist,  I added “book” to my mantra to remind me to double check the position of my upper arms in relation to my chest and shoulder blades.

Even though I have a mantra that works for me now, I am sure that I will find ways to fine tune my posture even further.  

Afterall, it's never too late to stand up straight. 

 Related: 

Shoulder Pain and Ageism

It's Never Too Late to Stand Up Straight

Gym Rat at Sixty

14 comments:

  1. Posture makes you look younger. So very important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are numerous benefits, indeed! Improved respiration, circulation for sure. Reduced injury to the back. Increased levels of energy. Improved core muscles, which then aid getting in out of chairs / cars / beds. Improved balance to reduce falls. I can't believe I have waiting this long to get serious about improved posture. All my best to you, Beth!

      Delete
  2. Posture has been a lifelong struggle, not just for the typical reasons, but we have a genetic line of rounded shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry that you have an extra challenge. Gravity is a big enough foe to start, and then you have genetics throwing you a curve ball. All my best to you and your kin for reduced issues that accompany the rounded shoulders genetics. Hugs and high fives to you all.

      Delete
  3. Yoga has helped me a lot, even a few minutes a day. It's true that posture becomes even more important as we age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I have practiced yoga regularly for 20 years, but when I am working at the computer, I often get lost in thought and my yoga skills fly out the window! I wish that I just lived in a yoga retreat center. Wouldn't that be bliss?!

      Delete
  4. Yes, we all need to be ballerinas with our posture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tip my crown to you, my fellow prima donna. We can channel our inner ballerinas -- I just know it!

      Delete
  5. I love this. I need it. The only time I think of my posture I when I see someone with poor posture. Then I remember what the ballet instructor told my son in his classes, "Pretend there is a string on the crown of your head and someone is pulling it straight up!"
    So I have the 'ballet'part...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those jumping jack toys with the string at the top of their heads. That's a good image. I will add that to my checklist. Maybe the "tall" word in my mantra should include a visualization of that string? Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  6. I have always loved ballet, took classes for so many years. It teaches you to pay attention to balance, posture and body placement in general. These are lessons I continue to carry with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to read that ballet classes are still paying dividends.

      Delete
  7. What a great benefit from taking ballet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who stick with ballet longer than I did do have better posture than I. I only took ballet for a few months, and I grew up spending time slumped over a book or slumped on the coach watching too much TV. Now I have to do the work that many 8-year-olds do each week at ballet class.

      Delete