Monday, June 5, 2023

It's Never Too Late to Stand Up Straight

Slouchy KDA at a park in Wichita, KS in 2012
vs "Stand Tall" KDA in the UK & at the YMCA in 2022

One of the benefits of going to the gym is that I get to “talk shop” with other members and with the instructors. We can share stories of our various triumphs and challenges. 

For the last seven years, I am most often talking about issues with my right shoulder and my right arm. 

I thought that I had injured myself by lifting too many weights. After talking with some of my instructors who are physical therapists and after visiting an orthopedic surgeon who referred me to a physical therapist, I discovered the foundation of my shoulder / arm problems.

Poor posture.

This revelation caused me to remember a physical therapist’s comment to me about a decade ago (2013).  I showed this PT a photograph of my centenarian friend, Gladys Bever, who was 103 at the time:  “Look at her posture,” he admonished me. “That correlates with longevity.”

That was the first time I started to pay attention to the importance of posture beyond an aspect of aesthetics and a vehicle for conveying confidence.  Each passing year, I grow more and more dedicated to spending time, effort, and a bit of money (on physical therapy co-pays and deductibles) to work on the root of my posture problems.

Because this topic includes a lot of areas, I’m going to start a series. 

Here are the topics I am anticipating covering. I will return to add links and revise the topics as necessary.

Related: 

Centenarians on the Rise (featuring Gladys Bever)

Shoulder Pain and Ageism

Grateful for Aging

Gym Rat at Sixty

10 comments:

  1. Oh my... posture has been a lifelong battle. I'll need to stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went to Tai Chi yesterday, I was thinking about how to share what I've been learning. Visits with a licensed physical therapist are ideal, but fortunately there are other tools available: personal trainers, fitness instructors, videos, books, and even flashcards. All my best to you on your journey for improved posture.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. I'm good. My husband is another story. Working on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter plays the piano and trumpet, which has given her good posture. My husband and I read and write a lot, so we are a mess. My son is on screens too much. It's hard to remember to sit up straight when I get lost in a project. I hope your husband kind find a path into good posture. It took the pain of an AC joint impingement to wake me up to the issue.

      Delete
  3. Doing yoga everyday, even just a few minutes, has helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I have been practicing yoga for 20 years (well, not quite; February is my yogaversary); however, I tend to avoid doing yoga at home in favor for practicing at the gym. I need to get yoga into my day-to-day routine. Kudos to you for making that happen.

      Delete
  4. Ohmyword, I agree! Posture is SO important!!! Vital even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew that our mothers were right when they told us to eat our vegetables and stand up straight!?!

      Delete
  5. I wish I knew this 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I spend hours this summer (15 classes a week at the gym as my staycation activity), and I felt discouraged. However, my friend Gayle from PA stopped by in July to stay overnight here in IN. She last saw me in February of 2023. When I opened the door to greet her, she exclaimed, "Oh, my gosh! Your posture is improved!" I'm 61. I have also gained 1/2 inch of height by the doctor's office measurements. There is still time. I probably won't be able to achieve the ballerina / runway model ideal posture because of years of slouching, but I can improve. Also, standing up straight has done more for my "I'm fighting with gravity" figure challenges than even the most expensive bra in my dresser. You can do it, Alana!

      Delete