Monday, January 31, 2022

2022 Word of the Year

 

"Russian Nested Dolls" 
by Images by John 'K'
 
is licensed under 
CC BY 2.0

I stopped making New Year's resolutions a long time ago. More recently, I have been selecting a Word of the Year (WODY) instead.  

I have found that by choosing a focus word, I can think deeply about the meaning and application of the word.  In addition, the word is more flexible, allowing me to change and grow over twelve months.

A WODY is more open, dynamic, fluid, and inviting than a resolution. 

For several months at the end of 2021, I considered the word "boxed" for 2022 as a way to focus on boundaries. Then I thought about choosing (un)boxed so that I could on the one hand avoid long-held labels that I felt were restricting me. (I'm a Type A. I'm an oldest child. I'm an extrovert. I'm an avid reader.) 

I wanted to entertain shedding some of these labels while at the same time setting up some boundaries. (Un)Boxed would allow me all kinds of possibilities. 

By January I found myself drawn to the word SMALLER as my 2022 WODY. 

For decades, I have been overextending myself, trying to study everything, meet everyone, master several skills--more, more, more; bigger, bigger, bigger. 

Now that I'm inarguably in the Second Half of life, I am recognizing my limits. 

Of late, I want to do a few things very well instead of striving to do everything--only to find myself failing and exhausted. I have long thought that maturity is not born out of wisdom so much as it's born out of exhaustion. I need to be more strategic and precise in how I use my time, attention, energy, and other resources.  

I also want to present myself in public in a way that is smaller. The image I have in mind is this: 

I want to be a nesting Russian doll in the inverse. I want to present a very small doll as my presence to the world. I want to reserve the more complex, expressive, and vivid aspects of my personality to a smaller subset of people. 

And I want the most complex and dynamic version of myself to only be visible to me and to the Divine. 

I have spent decades trying to gain the attention and the approval of anyone and everyone. I have found that to be an impossible task. Furthermore, doing so has made me vulnerable to critics--some criticize me out of ignorance, some out of carelessness, and some out of malice. 

I have lived for more than a half century, and I have waning time, energy, and resources. I want to be a lot more intentional about how I project my presence and what kinds of projects I adopt. 

I want to be small in ways that condenses my power. 

Related

My 2021 WODY was Witness

My 2020 WODYs were Humility and Compassion (I "cheated" and chose two.)

I can't find a post at Segullah or here on TGAM for my 2019 WODY. 

My 2018 WODY was Grounded

4 comments:

  1. "...maturity is not born out of wisdom so much as it's born out of exhaustion." I think you've hit on absolute truth here. I'm a type A, firstborn, etc., also. Most of the time, I'm my own worst enemy. I'm going to give some serious thought to becoming smaller. Interesting. Thank you for this post, and I wish you well on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading / commenting. All my best to you, Pam!

      Delete
  2. I love the concept of nesting dolls...and going smaller, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of defies the laws of Newtonian physics, but, "Oh, well!"

      Delete