![]() |
| It's a mile walk each way to the new LDS temple in Ephraim |
Since experiencing problems with my rotator cuff (right shoulder), I have dialed back on exercises that focus a lot on the shoulder. I am cleared to do so, but I am being cautious. For the time being, I have stopped doing strength training (aka weightlifting), yoga, and swimming. Instead, I have started walking, which does not make that many demands on my shoulders.
In 2013, I posted about walking rate as a biomarker of longevity. I decided that it's a topic worth revisiting with a slightly different focus.
Note: This post is not offering medical advise; it is only to raise awareness. If you are planning to start a fitness regime, please discuss your plans with a licensed medical professional.
To help motivate me, I downloaded an app that uses the fitness tracker on my cell phone, one that includes medals as a reward for completing a walking goal. I am striving to walk somewhere between 5,000 steps and 10,000 steps a day. If I walk to the public library where I work part time, that helps me to achieve my daily goal.
I have earned two medals this spring.
![]() |
| Spring of 2026, I walked 26.2 miles between Marathon and Athens and 81 miles around Amsterdam |
Before I started walking, I was aware that this is a good exercise for older adults. Walking helps older adults stay fit with a lower risk of injuries than most other activities.
It is important to wear sunscreen, good shoes and socks, and loose fitting clothes. I also often wear a hat. I also try to walk where there are sidewalks. I try to hydrate before I start my walk, but I also take a small water bottle with me. If I walk at dusk, I wear a reflective vest. I avoid walking on the highway that runs through our town because of all of the car exhaust.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that older adults exercise for 150 minutes per week. That can be divided up this way: 30 minutes of walking on 5 days of the week. Additionally, older adults should do strength training twice a week and some kind of balance activity such as tai chi or yoga.
What are the benefits? The CDC finds that a regular fitness routine is correlated with these positive outcomes:
"Physical activity provides many benefits. It helps prevent and manage chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. Additional benefits for older adults are reduced risk of falling, more years of independent living, and improved brain health."
I decided to find a recent scholarly article about the benefits of walking. This month, the American Journal of Health Promotion published a study by Shat et al.(2026) that combines the results of several studies of the health benefits of walking for older adults:
https://doi.org/10.1177/08901171261438402
As expected, walking helps keep chronic diseases at bay and extends the life of the walker. They did, however, quantify the benefits in this way:
"Pooled results indicate that older adults who performed an average of 5694 step/day had a 13% lower risk of all-cause mortality . . . for every additional 1000 steps/day."
Using an online converter, 5,694 steps roughly equals 3 miles (a little under). Additionally, 1,000 steps equals a little under a half mile.
It's going to get very hot here in Central Utah, so I need to establish a habit of walking in the morning before it gets too uncomfortable. I have started a challenge to walk almost 300 miles through the forests of Germany--using the app as I pretend to be walking abroad.
All my best to you as you find a fitness program that works for your needs!
Related:
Walking Rate Correlates with Life Expectancy


No comments:
Post a Comment