Friday, November 6, 2015

The Measure of Maturity: Quote

Click to enlarge photo by Kelley Boone modified by KDA.
Currently, I'm experiencing a lot of conflict and change in my life.

My previous responses to similar situations have been to rant, complain, throw things, or feed addictions such as shopping and eating.

I've had enough experience now that I can see that these responses will just expend a lot of energy and produce no results.

Or even worst, these responses will just create additional problems.

Consequently, I am adopting self-soothing practices that are more productive: moderate exercise, devotional reading, meditation, deep cleaning, and even just losing myself in my day-to-day responsibilities.

While looking through my cache of age-related quotes, I found the following served me at this time:

"Maturity is the ability to think, speak and act your feelings within the bounds of dignity. The measure of your maturity is how spiritual you become during the midst of your frustrations."

Samuel Ullman (1840-1924), American businessman, poet, and humanitarian.

I currently live in Kansas, so I'm using this image: I hope to survive like a country church endures on a stormy prairie.

Related:

Books on Aging and Spiritual Growth
Quantifying Wisdom
Am I Old or Am I Young? Quote

6 comments:

  1. Karen, my first reaction to your first paragraph was sympathy. As I continued to read, it changed to empathy and admiration. To aspire to become more dignified and spiritual as one weathers the hardships of life is a worthy goal. Thank you for sharing the Ullman quote. Hold on and stand strong--just like that beautiful old church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking things one day (sometimes one hour) at a time. Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete
  2. Perfect! I best solution and I hope that you find this as peaceful and rewarding as ever. Dignity is something so worthwhile and now it is my time to take this to heart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just put this on our Christmas Day menu, so thanks!
    Carol Cassara

    ReplyDelete