Saturday, December 29, 2018

Jessie's Empty Nest in Toy Story 2

Photo by Jeff Christiansen.
Toy Story 2 was released in 1999, which was during a time between the births of my two children. 

As they moved through their childhood, we watched the film at home several times to their delight..

The first five times I watched Toy Story 2 with my young children, I focused on Emily.

That character demonstrated how my children were moving through stages of childhood and leaving childhood things behind.

Then when my children became tweens and teens, I didn't watch this film at all.

Now my children are launching into adulthood.

My son moved to Nevada a year and a half ago, and I haven't seen him at all during this time. My daughter is a senior in high school.

Intellectually, I understand that they need to establish their own lives. I've been teaching university classes and running academic support services since the 1980s. During these several decades, I've been self-righteously telling parents who visit campus to "let go."

Experiencing an emptying nest myself is more emotional than I anticipated. 

During this last calendar year, my only daughter and my youngest child has hit a lot of markers of independence. In less than a year, she got a driver's license, a car, a boyfriend, a part-time job, and an acceptance letter to a university that is a five hour drive away.

I'm conflicted about all this.

Yes, I am happy to see that she is learning to function independently. I don't want my children living in my basement. As an older parent (I'm closer to 60 than 50), I don't have a lot of years to host late-launching children. They need to care for themselves.

However, I like my children. I miss them when we are apart. They are physically absent from the home more, and they get most of their emotional support from their peers.

During one of my pity parties, I decided to watch the music video of Sarah McLachlan singing "When She Loved Me" with an eye on how the girl in the film was setting aside childhood things for adolescent things.

But I discovered that I identify with Jessie, the toy. 

This isn't a song about a toy witnessing the grown of the girl who owned her. This is a song about the pain that a parent feels when separating from her growing child.

If you don't believe me, watch the video yourself. 

If you have children who are teens or young adults, I suggest that you equip yourself with a box of tissues before pressing "Play."


Related:

Robert Peck Tasks for Older Adults
Traits that Make a Person an Older Adult
Plotkin Describes Life Stages

10 comments:

  1. Not having children, I can't fully empathize with you, but I can understand how hard it must be to let them go out into the "big, bad world". I'm sure they'll do you proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I miss them, but I'm trying to find ways to connect and serve young people here. Thanks for stopping by the blog, Corrinne.

      Delete
  2. Karen,

    Thanks for joining the 4M dance floor this morning. It's so hard to let your children leave the nest, especially the first one to go. In our case, both of our daughters moved out at the same time which was double bitter pill to swallow. It nearly broke my heart but it prepared me for the day when our son followed suit making his own way into the real world. Although painful, the sting wasn't nearly as bad. I do miss those days of yesteryear when they were all under one roof where we all could enjoy together time. What I wouldn't do to have one more day like that yesterday...sometimes. ;) Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Yes, my son left a week after my daughter did this last summer. GAH! I just signed up to volunteer with Girl Scouts, so that should help distract me from my all-too-quiet house. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  3. Awww I've never heard that song. How pretty & yet so sad. Thanks for posting. I'm glad I stopped by. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard that song, and yes, I cried, although my one child, a son (who is rapidly approaching 30, only lives 20 minutes away. But there's another dynamic, too, where the roles of child and parent start to change as the parent progresses through the senior years, and (having been a caregiver to an elderly mother in law) I can't say I look forward to that for myself and my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can only process one life change at a time. (However, my mother did just move to assisted living, but I live a 26 hour drive away, so this affects my two sisters who live near my mother more than it affects me.) All my best to you.

      Delete
  5. My oldest daughter is 15 and I was listening to some Disney instrumental music while working tonight. This song came on and even without lyrics, I started having myself a good cry. I had never seen the song that way, but it will be hard for me not to from now on. I was not surprised to find someone else had the same realization.

    ReplyDelete