Sunday, May 31, 2026

Recovery from Rotator Surgery

 

Image from Creative Commons /
Wikimedia 

I am not lifting heavy items anymore because of my injured rotator cuff (right shoulder). 

I have done rehab and recovered about 85% of of the function of that shoulder. I don't need to be carrying huge boxes of books for the library anymore. I can break down loads to smaller bags.  I really do not have the time to do a year-long recovery when I have achieved a lot of function through rehab. 

People keep encouraging me to have surgery, but I am resisting for three reasons:

Note: This post is not offering medical advice. Its aim is to share my individual experience. It might raise some awareness of health issues for others. However, if you have any questions about your health (including but not limited to the shoulder / rotator cuff), please see a licensed medical professional.

1. As with any surgery, there are risks of complications.

My paternal grandfather died in surgery in his 30s because he got a blood clot. This was in the 1950s, and I am not sure if it went to his heart, brain, or lungs. But it left my grandmother a young widow with three young boys

2. I do not want to risk acquiring a dependency on pain medication.

I have seen too many individuals and then their families devastated because of addiction to pain meds post-surgery.

3. The recovery time can take up to a year. 

A recovery of 12 months is more probable for older adults: 

  • They tend to have more co-morbidities such as Type 2 Diabetes.
  • The quality of their tendons tend to be lower.
  • The size of their tears tend to be more severe. 
  • They tend to have decreased blood circulation. 
  • They may struggle to complete the prescribed rehab exercises.

I have a few friends who have had this surgery, and they are surprised by how long the recovery is taking them.  

I have read through a handful of webpages posted by orthopedic surgeons, and they break down the recovery by weeks and then months.   




I understand the choice of surgery for those who cannot regain function through rehabilitation.  I may end up needing surgery for one thing or another before my time on earth is up.  In the mean time, I will keep doing my rehab exercises. 

Related:


No comments:

Post a Comment